A woman on an Air New Zealand flight had to receive emergency medical treatment after being bitten by an insect while flying from Auckland to San Francisco.
The woman and her husband were flying business class at the beginning of March when she fell asleep on a lie-flat bed. When she awoke she had a large insect bite.
When she got off the flight she had to receive emergency medical treatment and suffered a fever as well as flu-like symptoms for a few weeks. It is believed the bite was caused by a spider.
The airline offered to pay her medical bills.
While you can’t control what happens on a plane or in public, you can keep your home free of insects whose bite or sting can cause serious illness by having all your openings covered with insect screens.