Mosquitoes are notoriously annoying and dangerous which is why entire industries are dedicated to keeping them away from our homes.
If you’ve already got your flyscreens in place over your doors and windows, there are plants that you can use to keep insects away from other areas such as your garden.
1. Citronella – This perennial clumping grass is one of the most popular insect-repelling plants. It has a strong scent and is commonly used as an ingredient in many insect repellant formulas.
2. Catnip or catmint – Its nepetalactone content is 10 times more powerful than DEET, the chemical ingredient present in many mosquito repellents.
3. Marigolds – This flower’s pyrethrum content helps keep insects—not just mosquitoes—at bay. Marigolds are a good option for repelling insects indoors or outdoors.
4. Lemonbalm – Also known as horsemint, this perennial outdoor plant emits a lemon scent which repels mosquitoes, flies, and ants.
5. Basil: Just like lemon balm, basil is another powerful alternative to chemical-laden bug sprays. It repels mosquitoes, white flies, asparagus beetles, and carrot flies indoors or outdoors.
6. Lavender: This plant’s soothing aroma wards off mosquitoes, scorpions, flies, fleas, and moths. You can plant it in garden beds or pots.
7. Peppermint: This plant emits a minty aroma which keeps mosquitoes, white flies, squash bugs, cabbage loopers, flea beetles, and aphids at bay.
8. Artemisia: Unlike other mosquito-repelling plants which emit pleasant odours, plants of the artemisia family emit foul-smelling odours which discourage mosquitoes from proliferating in your household.
9. Garlic: This outdoor plant thrives in drained soil, cold areas, and full sunlight. Aside from mosquitoes, it repels Mexican bean beetles, rabbits, peach tree borers, root maggots, and cabbage loopers.
10. Rosemary: This is another outdoor plant which flourishes in areas that get ample exposure to sunlight. It wards off mosquitoes, snails, slugs, cabbage moths, and carrot flies.
Other excellent choices include clove trees, geraniums, and goat weeds.
For more insect repelling plants go to http://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/top-10-plants-that-repel-mosquitoes-naturally.htm