Farmhouse style has a way of looking effortlessly stylish but this is not your grandmothers style. There are some key elements to keep in mind to acheive an updated farmhouse style look…
- Maintain an artisan / vintage mindset when decorating and collecting items for your farmhouse room.
- Painting rooms or your house with a whitewashed, sunny, French provincial appearance is a good idea.
- Add shutters in a contrasting colour. When you consider the charm factor, barn red or China blue go well together with a brick-exterior house.
- Gravel, brick and flagstone have a typical farmhouse appeal.
- If your house isn’t made of bricks, paint the siding with French blue, farmhouse white, or bard red to give your home a unique and rustic look.
- Plant some English ivy during the spring or fall seasons and watch them trail up your exterior walls to achieve that ultimate rural feel.
- Maximise open space inside your home. Doorless cupboards extend your interior storage space and flaunt some of your collectibles and valuables.
- Add a butcher block to your kitchen for a timeless and elegant rustic vibe. If nicks build up inside, simply sand them off and apply some oil. You may also want to consider purchasing a farmhouse sink that retains its appeal for years on end.